Written by Dene Nidiffer.
Some believe that talking about your age is inappropriate. I disagree. It was a milestone birthday just last month for me! Yes, half a century… The BIG 5.0.! I’ve never been someone who worries about age and most people tell me that I look younger than I am, which is good, and hopefully true. It doesn’t really matter though because it’s not like we get to change our age, ever, right? This birthday has left me a little more contemplative though than ever before.
Contemplation for me means looking at where I have been, what I have done and accomplished and where I am headed. I didn’t start my 30’s with Jesus in mind at all and going into my 40’s I was a new Christian and new Mom too – worried about getting motherhood right and to allow The Word to soak in – how silly was that now that I look back?
I am so grateful that I am starting my 50’s contemplating what it is that God has in store for me specifically! At this point my mind is overflowing; however, I believe this is what I am specifically hearing and if I write for all to see and hear I am acknowledging God’s will for me:
- Make sure that your daughter’s foundation for Christ is rock solid going into high school and college!
- You’ve had an amazing marriage for 26 years, what’s going to keep it growing and fresh?
- Simplify, simplify, simplify!
- Experience true joy! [not the “all about me” kind of joy, but the “all about Him” kind of joy]
- Strip yourself of debt!
- Be kairos moment minded [thank you Ignite Women for our last study]!
As I seek scripture to ensure that I focus on these things that I know God is nudging me about, these come to mind:
- Romans 12:2 My children are not being conformed to this world’s system, but they are constantly being transformed by the renewing of their mind, that they might know what is the good, acceptable, and perfect will of God for their lives.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 Lord, I pray that our marriage will glorify You and be an example of Your intention for marriage.
- 2 Corinthians 1:12 For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience, that we behaved in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God, and supremely so toward you.
- 1 Peter 1:8-9 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
- Romans 13:8 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
- Isaiah 40:31 But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
What I know for sure is that my 50’s with Him matters and that I look forward to seeking, doing and striving to be what God intends in this next decade!
You can read more about Dene here.