Written by Laura Acuna.
It was about eleven years ago that I came to the realization I was completely stuck in my walk with the Lord. I had gone to church my entire life, spent countless hours in Bible studies, and attended many, many retreats and conferences. I was even the Women’s Ministry leader in my church for heaven’s sake! But, in spite of it all, I had a very deep and abiding feeling that something was terribly wrong with me. I so longed for the abundant life that everyone talked about – I wanted my life to be relevant and more reflective of my status as one of His precious daughters. Instead, my buttons kept getting pushed, I was easily offended, had trouble saying no, and I had behaviors that kept me going in circles. Ugh.
The truth was, I could believe all of His promises for you and all of your friends, but I was having a very hard time believing them for myself.
I WAS A MESS!
It is amazing how God gives us the perfect opportunities to grow up and go on with our lives. If you are like me, you have missed many of them along the way – but thankfully He is a God of infinite chances.
One summer day, I found myself sitting at yet another women’s conference – this time it was Women of Faith in Washington D.C. On that day, the speaker presented a message that literally rattled me to the core. As she spoke God’s wisdom over us, I felt that she was speaking to me alone. Have you ever felt that way?
It was a moment when God’s message intersected with my greatest need.
Using God’s word and her own experiences, the speaker contrasted the vast differences between a little girl and a big girl. As her words sunk in, I began to identify myself as the former — and then all I can tell you is that flags started waving and the lights finally went on!
She painted such a beautiful picture of what being a “big girl” looked like, that I left that day committed doing whatever it took to grow up, become a mature Christian woman, and get on with the life that the Lord had for me.
The wise and wonderful Jan Silvious was the speaker and her message was titled “Big Girls Don’t Whine”. I am excited to share her book of the same name with you here at Ignite!
As the result of God’s sweet and wonderful grace, the road to become a big girl has completely changed my life. It is a long story and, although I am still on the journey (and will continue to be until He brings me home), I am no longer the little girl that I was eleven years ago.
Grabbing onto God’s wisdom and choosing to become mature is critical to living the plan and purpose for our lives!
If you suspect, as I did, that little-girl thinking and the behaviors that follow are keeping you stuck from moving forward – then I invite you to join me here at Ignite for “Big Girls Don’t Whine”!
Here’s to a new year FULL of chances & choices to finally grow up and get on with the great life God intends for all of His girls!
If you would like to sign up for Big Girls Don’t Whine, here is everything you need to know:
The study will run for 11 weeks, beginning on Sunday evening January 25, 2015.
This is what you can expect:
1. Each Sunday evening Laura will post a teaching video for you to view when it is convenient for you.
2. At the same time on each Sunday evening, discussion questions will be posted on the Ignite page for the group.
3. Periodically, throughout the 11 weeks, there will be an online “live” meeting to chat about the book and all we are learning. This is optional and will be scheduled in advance so you will know when to join in.
This is what you will need to do:
1. You will need an Ignite Premium membership AND you will need sign up for the group. http://ignitewomen.com/membership/
2. Please purchase the book “Big Girls Don’t Whine” by Jan Silvious before the 1/25/15 start date. You can order the book via the Ignite store, Amazon or your local bookstore. http://ignitewomen.com/store/
3. Please read one chapter of the book per week.
4. With the exception of the optional “live chat,” you will log on weekly to your group page to view the video and to comment on the discussion questions. You can do this anytime during the week. Laura will be on daily, but you can come and go as it works for your schedule. The idea is to have a good online “conversation” going throughout the week.
As you can see, this is a very flexible schedule that you can follow according to your own situation! We hope you will join in!
If you have any questions feel free to email Laura at Laura@Laura-Acuna.com
More about Jan Silvious : www.jansilvious.com
Video lessons will be posted every Sunday evening on the blog, beginning on January 25th along with questions for group members to answer. To gain the most out of this group, members are strongly encouraged to interact with other members minimally once a week on the group blog. LIVE meetings will be scheduled and are optional. Members will need a copy of the book, Big Girls Don’t Whine” by Jan Silvious before the start on January 25th. Order the book via the Ignite store, Amazon.com or your local Christian Bookstore.